Thursday, May 12, 2011

For Your Viewing Pleasure


Good Thursday morning!  It is a beautiful rainy day here in Pflugerville, Texas and while I don't have anything earth shattering for you this morning, I do have a funny quote and a few recommendations.

I read this on my daily email this morning and thought it worth sharing:

"Did you ever stop to taste a carrot?  Not eat it, but taste it?  You can't taste the beauty and energy of the earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda
That is one thing I have to say I'm consistently amazed at.  Organic, whole, quality food tastes so much better than what we used to eat.  We went to Serrano's a few weeks ago just to get out of the house and give me a break in the kitchen.  I kept taking bites and adding salt thinking maybe they'd forgotten the salt in their beans or in their taquitos.  Finally, when Rick felt like I'd clogged my arteries enough - he mentioned that food that wasn't organic didn't have near as much of a taste.  So true, so true.

If it's raining at your house today (or sometime this weekend), consider having a movie watching festival.  Here are three that I would highly recommend and that changed our lives upon viewing:

Super Size Me - Yes, it's a few years old now (produced in 2004), but if you haven't taken the plunge and watched it - you need to.  I believe you can watch the entire thing online on Hulu if you go here.  Or, if you have Netflix, you can rent it there as well.  Although I haven't been in awhile, I'm sure a video store (like Blockbusters or Hastings) would have it also.


While examining the influence of the fast food industry, Morgan Spurlock personally explores the consequences on his health of a diet of solely McDonald's food for one month.


Food Matters - This one is quite possibly my favorite because of the wealth of knowledge it contains.  My favorite part is the story about the guy healed of cancer by simply using Vitamin C.  You have to see it to believe it!  You can go here to watch the trailer.  (Then if you'll do a search for "food matters" on youtube you can watch it in segments.)  Or - you can always rent it on Netflix.



"The focus of the film is in helping us rethink the belief systems fed to us by our modern medical and health care establishments. The interviewees point out that not every problem requires costly, major medical attention and reveal many alternative therapies that can be more effective, more economical, less harmful and less invasive than conventional medical treatments."


Food, Inc - I'm not going to lie - this one had me sick at my stomach for days.  It also made me angry.  There are so many things going into our foods that we have no idea about.  There are so many restrictions on farmers these days.  This documentary is truly eye opening.

This is the official Food, Inc website where you can buy the DVD.  Or, you can watch it on Netflix or find bits and pieces of it on Youtube.  I warn you though, this one is not an easy watch.


"In Food, Inc., filmmaker Robert Kenner lifts the veil on our nation's food industry, exposing the highly mechanized underbelly that has been hidden from the American consumer with the consent of our government's regulatory agencies, USDA and FDA. Our nation's food supply is now controlled by a handful of corporations that often put profit ahead of consumer health, the livelihood of the American farmer, the safety of workers and our own environment."

No comments:

Post a Comment